Conversations in Neurology: New Agents and Strategies for Migraine and Related Headache Disorders Edition
- Recognize the pros and cons of traditional diagnostic and therapeutic strategies in migraine in order to optimize the integration of modern advancements and improve clinical outcomes.
- Review the therapeutic profiles associated with FDA-approved calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) monoclonal antibodies for the prevention of episodic and chronic migraine and discern how and for whom these agents can be appropriately prescribed.
- Describe the mechanisms of action and clinical profiles of recently approved abortive medications (e.g. ditans, gepants) for the management of migraine and identify individuals that may be candidates for these therapies.
- Discuss the unique characteristics of cluster headache to facilitate its timely diagnosis and guide the use of existing and recently approved migraine treatments for this population.
- Identify ongoing research strategies evaluating other novel agents and combination approaches for individuals suffering with various migraine presentations, and counsel appropriate patients about potential clinical trial participation.
University of Michigan School of Medicine
Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine
Director of Headache Medicine
This activity is jointly provided by Postgraduate Institute for Medicine and Efficient LLC.
In support of improving patient care, this activity has been planned and implemented by the Postgraduate Institute for Medicine (PIM) and Efficient LLC. Postgraduate Institute for Medicine is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
PIM designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)®. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Conflict of Interest Disclosure Policy
Planners' and Managers' Disclosure
PIM planners and managers have nothing to disclose. Efficient LLC planners and managers have nothing to disclose.
- Consulting fees: Aeon Biopharma, Alder Pharmaceuticals, Allergan, Amgen, Biohaven Pharmaceuticals Inc., Clexio, Electrocore LLC, eNeura Inc., Epalex, GlaxoSmithKline, Impel Neuropharma, MundiPharma, Novartis, Pfizer, Santara Therapeutics, Teva Pharmaceuticals, Trigemina Inc., WL Gore
- Contracted research: Amgen, Celgene
- Stock options: Trigemina Inc.
- Patent holder (licensed without fees): eNeura
Dr Cooper reports the following financial relationships:
- Consulting fees: Amgen, Dolor Technologies, Lilly, Lundbeck, Teva, Theranica
- Ownership interest: Dolor Technologies
- Consulting fees: Allergan
- Fees for Non-CME/CE Services: Allergan, Amgen, Lilly, Teva
Disclosure of Unlabeled Use
This educational activity may contain discussion of published and/or investigational uses of agents that are not indicated by the FDA. The planners of this activity do not recommend the use of any agent outside of the labeled indications. The opinions expressed in the educational activity are those of the faculty and do not necessarily represent the views of the planners. Please refer to the official prescribing information for each product for discussion of approved indications, contraindications, and warnings.
Participants have an implied responsibility to use the newly acquired information to enhance patient outcomes and their own professional development. The information presented in this activity is not meant to serve as a guideline for patient management. Any procedures, medications, or other courses of diagnosis or treatment discussed or suggested in this activity should not be used by clinicians without evaluation of their patient's conditions and possible contraindications and/or dangers in use, review of any applicable manufacturer's product information, and comparison with recommendations of other authorities.
This activity is supported by an educational grant from Lilly. For further information concerning Lilly grant funding visit www.lillygrantoffice.com.
- 1.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™